Many patients have one question in common when it comes to Invisalign dental aligners. “How do I clean them?” Here are some tips on how to keep your Invisalign aligners in their best condition!
Cleaning the Aligners
Your Invisalign aligners require proper care just like any other oral appliance.
- The aligners should be rinsed in plain water when removed. Rinsing removes foot particles as well as prevents plaque and saliva from building up.
- The best way to clean aligners are with liquid soap and a soft tooth brush, and twice a week soak in an Invisalign cleaner or denture cleaner like Steradent. You can also use a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of water and vinegar once a week.
- Hot water should never be used to either rinse off or clean your aligners. Hot water can damage the shape of the tray which could also set back your treatment time.
Invisalign Care Tips
- Remove the aligner trays when you are eating or drinking.
- If you can’t remove the trays while you are drinking then try and stay clear of strong coloured beverages. Coffee, tea, soft drinks and wine can stain your aligners.
- When not wearing your aligners they should be properly stored in their storage case. This will aid in the aligners not getting lost or thrown away.
- The aligners should be kept away from heat. Heat and hot water can damage the aligners.
- To get the most benefit from your Invisalign aligners you should continue to brush and floss your teeth as usual.
Traveling with Invisalign
- Bring your previous, current and upcoming alignment trays with you. If one is lost or damaged you will have a replacement.
- When not in use, keep your aligners in their carrying case or your purse. This will help with them not getting lost or thrown away at a restaurant.
- It’s a good idea to bring an extra storage case for your Invisalign trays. Just in case your original one gets lost or damaged.
- Keep your Invisalign trays with you on flights, never check them in your luggage.
- If you are going to be away for more than two weeks you should ask about having an additional set made ahead of time.
Invisalign is a wonderful alternative to traditional bracket and wire braces. By following the above tips you will have a beautiful smile in no time! If you would like an Invisalign consultation call the office of Dr. Vicky Ho today!